Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Goodbye BMI, Hello WHtR!!

I don't know about you... but I am constantly struggling with my weight. The majority of my problem comes from candy and desserts. Ok, and I suppose that I *DO* eat more than I should... but I'm working on that!

Cory and I have been trying to cut back on white flours, breads, pastas, etc. We have been eating a lot more fruits and veggies and whole grains. We don't drink soda or alcohol or coffee/tea. We rarely eat red meat. We don't buy potato chips, instead we choose to eat homemade granola or nuts.

Those darn cookies though. I had to make some today for an upcoming wedding this weekend... and of course I couldn't resist eating some dough and a few cookies. (Ok, maybe like 6 cookies! UGH!)

Since Cory and I are trying to conceive, we have been trying to pay more attention to what types of food to eat more of and what types to avoid. Chocolate (well, anything with caffeine) is a NO NO.... soooo... I am going to do my best to give it up. It won't be easy, but ultimately being pregnant (at some point) isn't about ME. It's about the life growing inside of me. I could go ON about the things pregnant women say or do that frustrate me... but that's not what this post is about.

Anyway...

A friend of mine recently posted THIS LINK on Facebook. It briefly explains why the typical Body Mass Index isn't the best way to figure out if you're healthy. It introduces the Waist-to-Height Ratio. Maybe it's nothing new to some people, but I'd never heard of it before. I promptly went to measure my waist and divide it by my height to find my WHtR. Unfortunately, I am in the Overweight category (though not by too much). In our efforts to conceive and be healthy... and from doing this little WHtR equation, I am a little more motivated to get my butt in gear.

I won't lie, I am not the biggest fan of exercise... but I want to try to be a healthier me!! Dieting may help me lose weight fast... but I don't want a diet, I want a lifestyle change! I think slow and steady wins the race... and I'm thinking about saving up to get me some of these.

Do any of you have healthy lifestyle or exercise tips??

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you'll be well on your way to changing your way of eating. Wish I could but I LOVE cookies and cakes so much!!! Good luck...I live in Central PA too!
    Hugs Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with the "slow and steady" and lifestyle change approach! :) I have my ups and downs with weight loss. When I try harder it really works, what a concept huh? LOL When I don't, it goes extra extra slooow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ..I've been known to bake a batch of cookies and skip the baking part..really, who can resist cookie dough?! :) I'm not one for aerobic exercise classes, but I do love dancing and cardio salsa classes! Oh Devon, it's so fun, doesn't feel like exercise at all! And I love hiking. You are sooo right ~ lifestyle change, not diet! Slow and steady, and skip the soda! Gosh, you both eat so healthy already, it's great! Congrats and good luck.. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear what you have to say!