Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Homemade Ravioli!!

I don't know about you... but I get so frustrated with trying to think of what to have for dinner every night.

To be honest, we have a lot of repeats. We know what we like... how to make it... and well, it's just easier that way.

But sometimes it's nice to have something different.

My problem is that I, admittedly, am not a good cook. Ok cook, maybe.... but that's about as good as it gets. In my own defense though, I never really tried too hard until I was married and had the time to put into it. I'm still learning.

I love finding recipes on blogs and in cooking magazines... but a lot of times they call for weird ingredients... or things we don't eat (I refuse to eat almost all seafood... and I'm picky about spicy foods!).

Well, the other day I thought about getting some ravioli from the freezer section at the supermarket... but have you seen what they put in those!? I'm not too crazy about all of the additives and preservatives.... and who knows what else! So I Googled homemade ravioli and was satisfied with the fact that it only takes 4 ingredients to make the pasta. The filling is whatever you want. If you want the recipe I used... go HERE.

Here is a little peek into the creation of my raviolis...


I am so thankful to have a Kitchen-Aid Mixer. It kneads the dough for me, which frees me up for so many other things!


I do not have any type of pleasant work space in my kitchen to do things like rolling out dough. Our kitchen table has uneven leaf sections that make it hard to do ANYTHING (new table? hopefully someday!). As I was rolling and rolling on my small glass cutting board... I was really thinking about how nice it would be to have one of those pasta press rolly-thing-a-ma-jigs!!


The recipe said to use a glass and trace around it with a knife to get your circles... Yeah. Right.


The great thing about this recipe... is that you can make it ahead of time and stick the raviolis in the freezer. That way you aren't rushing at the last minute to try to get dinner on the table, after making a mess and doing all of the grunt work. I even had 30 extra raviolis left over that I put in freezer bags so that we'll be able to pull them out for later use! (Like, when the baby is here and we're too pooped to do much cooking!)


I must say... the end product turned out quite well! Cory even deemed it one of the best things he's ever eaten! I don't know if I'd necessarily go that far... but it was tasty! (I had filled it with ground beef and ricotta... but you can use whatever!)

Now, I need to learn to make my own sauce!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Devon, when I was as pregnant as you are now I was struggling just to get off of the couch and here you are making homemade ravoili!! You're going to be a super mom for sure!

    I'll definatly be trying out that recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really cool! I'm with you on all the weird ingredients deferring you from a recipe. Those look pretty good though, and once I'm back in the swing of things, I'll have to come look up your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious is right! Those extra ravioli in the freezer will be wonderful after the baby comes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to give this a try. Thank you for sharng. I like the idea of freezing them for later. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear what you have to say!