Thursday, October 18, 2012

MMmmm MMmmm Boston Creme! - improvised-

Tuesday was my neighbors 62nd Birthday.

We are very close and I always try to do special things for her (and her husband)... 
not only for birthdays and holidays... but just at random times.  

But since it was Birthday Time, I wanted to do something extra special.

She and I talk a lot about food.  
Neither one of us is a great cook, I admit... 
although I do make more of an effort than she does, 
which makes it even more special when I can share some 
type of goodie with them!

So I remembered that at one point, 
we had been oohing and aahing over how yummy Boston Creme Pie is.
Because, really, it is SO good.

I try to cook and bake healthy...
but sometimes I make exceptions...
especially for the neighbors.

I didn't want to make a plain old cake...
and a Boston Creme Pie seemed a little boring too.
So instead, I decided to come up with my own little rendition of a 
"Boston Creme Cupcake"


I'm sure this is somewhere on Pinterest or some other website...
with homemade and gourmet ingredients...
But I assure you, I didn't go Googling it to find it ahead of time.
I was too lazy!

Plus, how hard is it, REALLY?

Especially if you go the box-cake route!

So... if you're looking for a quick and easy dessert...
This is it!

And let me tell you - they are SO GOOD!

Just bake Yellow Cupcakes according to whatever the directions say on the box.
(Lazy Easy, right?)

Grab a box of instant vanilla pudding and whip it up...
Put in the fridge to chill.

After the cupcakes are cool, 
cut cones out of the top of each cupcake... 
then spoon in the pudding and replace the tops!

I threw the cupcakes in the fridge while I made the chocolate...

I had no idea what kind of chocolate to make... 
so I grabbed my cookbook and browsed until I found this recipe.
Easy and yummy!

In a small saucepan heat 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, 
2 T. butter, 1 T. light colored corn syrup and 1/4 tsp. vanilla over low heat, 
stirring until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth.
Use immediately to drizzle over cupcakes!

Store in the refrigerator!
Chocolate will harden and the pudding will be chilled.


MMMmmm MMMmmm... Boston Creme!

I also made "Last Minute Rolls" (thanks to my sis for the YUMMY recipe)...
and Eloise and I went over to share in a Birthday lunch of soup, rolls and cupcakes!!
(Ok, Miss Egg-Allergy couldn't eat that stuff, but she still joined us!)

It was a nice time and our neighbor even cried because she just felt so
special that we would share her birthday with her.

 (Eloise helping to open a present - with a water bottle in her mouth... silly.)

My neighbor truly is a wonderful friend and I'm so glad we could brighten her birthday,
even if only for an hour or so!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear what you have to say!