Friday, January 1, 2010

Flashback Friday #9!!

I almost forgot about Flashback Friday! Today seems like a Saturday!

For today's post... I wanted to share a picture from 4 years ago. But first, let me give you a brief history.

Back in the mid to late 90's... when I was about... ooooh.. 14 or so... I knew nothing of cell phones, let alone texting (was it even around then??)... and had just recently been introduced to the internet. I had a little thing called ICQ... and later AOL IM... but in between my upgrade from ICQ to IM... I would go online to the Yahoo Chat Rooms. As weird as it seems to me now... since there are such things as Myspace, Facebook and all of that rot... I thought that Yahoo Chat was REALLY COOL. I ended up meeting a few people on there that I still keep in touch with today! One of those people... was dear Miss Julie! We randomly found each other on chat and... well... chatted! Eventually we started to email... and I don't even remember how... but we decided that it'd be fun to be penpals through the good ole US Postal Service instead of the internet. Let me tell you.. WHAT FUN! It's so funny to look back on some of those letters (yes, I still have some)... and to remember the things she would write to me about. School, Friends... Boys. She was (and IS) super smart and always seemed to be winning academic awards and such. Meanwhile, I was the homeschooling cheerleader listening to punk rock and pretty much counting down the days until I was DONE with school (even though I did enroll for that one torturous semester at college). Anyway... through the years we kept in touch... and as I read all about her love life unfolding with a certain someone... I knew that when she announced she was getting married... I wanted to be there!! We'd never met before... and seriously, I'm not an outgoing person! But... there it was, the invitation for Dec. 30, 2005... and I made all of the arrangements to fly to Oklahoma for her big day!! It was quite the adventure... flying (a 5 hour layover at the Detroit Airport.. UGH!!)... renting a car.... and then driving to her hometown to find my hotel and later, the church where they were serving their rehearsal dinner. (They were sweet enough to invite me there!)... I guess I should mention that I had never heard of a GPS... even in 2005! LOL! So, I had to try to follow directions... and let me tell you... I am NOT very good with directions!! Anyway!! The day of her wedding, I went with her to lunch so that we could finally chat face to face... just the two of us... and then I also went with her and her bridesmaids while they got their hair done. It was a really nice time, even though it passed in the blink of an eye! The wedding and reception was in this really awesome Theater place (Sorry Jules, I don't remember the name of it)... and it was all just beautiful!!! Despite feeling a bit out of place since I knew Julie and no one else... it was such a memorable time! We still write letters to this day (thanks goodness for her friendship!!!)... and she was even able to make it out this past May for my wedding! I thank God for sending Julie into my life! Even though we don't hang out like normal friends do...I still consider her a good friend. I look forward to her letters each time I walk out to my mailbox to send her a letter of my own.

Happy 4th Anniversary Julie & Sean!!
(a couple of days late)

and Happy New Year to you all!!

To check out my Flashback from last week... go HERE.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! What a sweet post! I can't believe that was four years ago! My parents still comment from time to time how amazing it was that you made it out for my wedding. It was really a big deal to me as well and I was so happy we could meet even if it was for brief moments here and there. I was also honored to come to your wedding. Your family was so sweet and made me feel right at home. I was also happy to see you and Cory and all the joy surrounding you both on your special day! I know I really need to get a letter to you, I've been slacking horribly since Sean's been home but I've just been busy trying to enjoy every minute. It's at the top of my list, thought, I promise! :) I wanted you to know also what a blessing it was through the years to be able to pour out my thoughts and never worry that you would think they were silly. I also enjoyed following your life and events and am so happy you ended up with such an amazing guy for you! Take good care of her, Cory!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear what you have to say!